The Boy at the Dike: A Dutch Folktale
by M. J. York
Readers learn how one child can make a difference when a young boy saves a village by plugging a hole in a dike with his finger.
Table of Contents
- About the Illustrator
- Dewey: 398.2
- Graphics: Full-color and 1-color illustrations
- Reinforced book (9781614732198): 7.25 x 8.25, 24 pages, © 2013
- PDF (9781614733614): 7.25 x 8.25, 24 pages, © 2013
- Hosted ebook (9781623232108): 7.25 x 8.25, 24 pages, © 2013
- Series: Folktales from Around the World
- Suggested Interest Level: Kindergarten - Grade 3
- Suggested Reading Level: Grade 3
- Guided Reading Level: N
- ATOS Reading Level: 3.6
- ATOS Interest Level: Lg
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 152912
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- JUVENILE FICTION / Fairy Tales & Folklore / Adaptations (JUV012040)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Fairy Tales & Folklore / General (JUV012030)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Fairy Tales & Folklore / Country & Ethnic (JUV012020)
A Review of "Folktales from Around the World" in Library Media Connection
Reviewed on 1 September 2013
These easy-to-read books retell worldwide folktales in a child-friendly manner. Colorful illustrations, along with monochromatic illustrations, add to the narration. At the end of each book is a discussion of folktales in general and the specific folktale, including a question for further discussion. These tales will be useful in literature and social studies courses; they can be used to focus on a specific culture or tale or to compare and contrast narrative-styles between cultures. Lacking is a glossary or introductory material. All readers will benefit from this exposure to folktales, particularly when tying literature across the curriculum.
Author: M. J. York
M. J. York has an undergraduate degree in English and history and a master's degree in library science. M. J. lives in Minnesota and works as a children's-book editor. She has always been fascinated by myths, legends, and fairy tales from around the world.
Illustrator: Laura Freeman
Laura Freeman has been drawing pictures for as long as she can remember, and illustrating books since 1998. She's from New York City, but currently lives in Atlanta with her husband, their two children, and two cats.
- Item count: 0
- Title count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00
RL, RF, W, SL
- Detailed maps